
It's been awhile since I had seen my two good friends, Janis and Carol, so we made a day of it yesterday to see the Gingerbread houses in Waxahachie. We met in Balch Springs, had a small breakfast at McDonald's there and left for the Waxahachie, TX town square. At 10am, they had a home town Christmas parade. It was really nice for a small town that is really growing. It is so different then when I lived there in the 90's. After the parade, we had some time to blow before lunch, so we walked along the square and looked in at a few shops on the square. We walked into one store that was a Mosaic craft store. It was really neat. You could buy kits and make them there yourself or you would buy kits put together already to do at home. SO, I bought 3 kits so they kids could do them at home. They loved starting the kits last night, and we'll have to finish it later.
We ate lunch at a quaint little tea shop, and then looked around the Christmas festival there on the square and bought our tickets to see the Gingerbread houses on the Candlelight Homes tour. We got to the first house a little before 2pm (starting time). I cannot remember being first in line at one of these houses ever!! LOL. The houses were beautiful.
First we visited the Padilla home.
Next we went to the Autry house. It was a very interesting house. It looks (like most Victorian homes) deceptively small from the front, BUT when we toured the house, it was HUGE. Found out why....the front part of the house was the original house. In order to make it larger for the family, but to keep it authentic for it's age, the city made them keep the front house intact, they roofed over a hallway that leads to the back half of the house, which was added on. I'll point them out in the pictures....

Notice on picture #2 here, that is the front of the house, but picture #3 is the add on section. The hallway that is roofed is on the far left of picture #3. Note that it looks exactly identical in color and it doesn't look like it was added on!!!
Okay, after the cool Autry house, we went on to the Young house. I really loved this one. Wish I could have one like this one! I loved the enclosed patio which wraps around the back of the house. It was beautiful on the inside as well.
The last house of the day was the Gonzales home. The owner of this house was very outgoing and loved to answer any questions you had about her house. Note the little sign on the side of the house..... LOL
(click on the picture to enlarge, but it says "No horses on the dance floor." hehe)
After the homes, it was 4pm. Janis and Carol were going to stay for Bethlehem Revisited, but my left foot (the one I had surgery on) was starting to really hurt, so I chose to go home. I really had a great time with Janis and Carol. Made me realize how much I miss them and how I really need to make a better effort to get together with them again really soon.






No comments:
Post a Comment